Thursday, February 19, 2009

Adrenaline is a muscle that needs to be exercised..

Otherwise we become complacent and too comfortable and worse off- stagnate. It's good to be scared from time to time. It reminds you of your insignificance in the world.

Never mind the fact that I had already jumped on my 30th birthday or the fact that it was Friday the 13th or I had but one chance to jump in the most spectacular place in New Zealand. (the weather on the West Coast is notoriously finicky for jumping) I did it again for the scenery. What you say? Jump over the twin glaciers of Fox Glacier and Franz Joseph? The only place (except for Patagonia) where glaciers make it all the way down to the rainforest floor? Oh and the Tazman Sea and all of the west coast of the south island is right there? And all of this is back dropped by Mt. Tazman and Mt. Cook? The highest mountains in the southern Alps?


And I get a scenic flight before of the glaciers and mountains before I jump out of the door? And what? My exchange rate is incredible right now?

SIGN ME UP!

And jump I did. Through a cloud, over a glacier and next to the blue of the see. And as I fell I watched as the twin peeks of Mt. Tazman and Mt. Cook fall toward the sky past the inversion of the clouds and into the depths of my memory. Its easy to do really. You commit by stepping onto the plane. That's the easy part. Like falling in love with someone where the situation is almost impossible. Everything in your brain tells you that you shouldn't do it but everything in heart tells you need to do it. And so you do it. You step onto that plane and into that relationship despite what your logic tells you. And your life is so much better having done it.


The perspective you get is always worth the risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment