Sunday, January 4, 2009

Bounds without Leaps

We live in a great age and I already come bounds. Its amazing to me what technology can do. Not only have I catapulted into the southern hemisphere but also two days into the future and into a totally new year fresh and in a new place. And the only thing I had to do was step unto a plane. I have already come bounds with out even leaping.

And I am not alone. Since the moment I stepped on the plane I have had a friend to travel with. This time in comes in the form of a Frenchmen and we have taken to traveling together quite well. (it also helps that we had roughly the same itinerary and he makes fun of the fact that I am American and I that fact that he is French). But some logistical stuff before the stories. New Zealand is (oh gosh I am about to say it) *wicked expensive*. Everyone is on holiday right now so nothing is available and Kiwi's are super nice even though their dress is an interesting mix of hodge-podge and outdoorism. Needless to say the first day I got here i was a bit bummed.
But throw in a little adventure and all that changes.

We decided to head up to the Bay of Islands to kill a couple of days before I meet a friend on couchsurfing in Tuopo for a famous hike in the middle of the north island. The Bay of island is a beautiful harbor on the extreme north of the north island where captain cook first sailed to New Zealand. When we got here we immediately befriended our bus driver (Tony-Kiwi) and Axou (Belgian) and we rented small catamarans. David (my french travel mate) had never been on a sail boat before. We raced against Tony and Axou in the other boat and here is where I insert that fact that it was totally worth it to get my sailing certification this summer. With that being said I tried to get the boat to do something that it was not designed to do. (aka tack when it is only used for jibing) and I capsized the boat. David (in his thick French accent) politely in his French way inquired whether or not we were going to get rescued. I said we are on our own mate. To make a long story short, we were able to right the boat again and I was able to get it back to shore despite an incoming storm and a very strong head wind and not have to stick our heads between our legs in shame and be rescued. It was the perfect start to an New Zealand adventure.

I have also forgotten what "hosteling" is like. It like having a 100 friends that all want to hang out with you at the same time. So that evening I went out with a bunch of people from around the world until very late in the morning. And I have yet to meet a single American.

Today we went sailing again on a (much bigger boat) for day trip through the islands. They had snorkeling, BBQ, kayaking and hiking on one of the island. I know I haven't seen any of the really good stuff yet, but this place is amazingly beautiful. Its enough to start talking to the trees and I haven't even been to the south island yet and the mountains that are calling me. The weather was perfect and they even let me run some of the lines on the boat. I am attaching a picture of our boat (above) and some of the islands so your jaws can drop. Our boat is the big red one in the bottom of the picture. (and so far I am liking my Nikon D60)

Tomorrow back to Auckland (which has very little to do) and then down to Taupo where I am hiking Tangarro Crossing. (The Lord of the Rings was shot here)

I will end with this as this is costing me a small fortune. I am alive and well and finally opening my sails up. You constantly have to pay for Internet here so I will probably write infrequently but long when I do. See you next in the Volcanoes of Tangarro National Park.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, great start!!! Meeting people from around the world is the best thing about traveling.

    The internet rates were pretty reasonable on the South Island, at least when I was there. I had a laptop, so I could write on my machine and then transfer via a thumb drive. You may want to consider writing in your journal and typing it out later.

    What movies did you watch on the plane? I love minutiae!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first thought when I saw the photo was that it looks like your DSLR is treating you well. So glad it is. Fill up those memory cards!

    I'm glad to see leaving your sailing card at home has not interfered with adventuring on the high seas. And hey, crashing can't be that bad... it's how all the great explorers got there!

    Off to MRG today. I'll take a run in your honor if you soak up some Southern Hem sun in mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a lot of fun already. Please be careful. Looking forward to seeing your pictures. Can't wait for your next adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya..definetly going to write in journal first! And I am loving my Nikon..just still learning how to use it.

    Hi Mom & DAD!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaron-
    I actually slept the entire time I was on the plane. (I hadn't slept in like four days). I tried watching Man on Wire about that guy that walked the wire between the trade towers but I couldnt make it.

    Oh finally got a good deal on a car down here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the updates, Swargo. Good to hear from you. So happy that you got to take this trip. Say hello to Gandalf for me.

    ReplyDelete