Friday, January 23, 2009

The Mountians Win Again

There is just something about the mountains. They have a way of washing you clean. Of striping away the dust and grim that accumulates and leaving you polished and light. For many years they have been my scouring pad. They are unpredictable yet gentile. Always changing. Unforgiving in their rawness. And yet sometimes they give you a gift. A single moment that will never be the same. A moment that is just for you and is never repeated. A moment that is gone unless it is captured in a single frame.
Sunrise on Mt. Cook. January 20th, 2009

Rachel and I said our goodbyes until March today. She getting in the car to return to Christchurch, myself heading up the trail to Mueller Hut-the summit of Mt. Oliver. As the crow flys just across the valley and Hooker Glacier at the foot of Mt. Cook-The tallest mountain in the Southern Alps. It was a short yet steep track, often times having to climb with all fours. But the view and experience overwhelming. I spent the night and a whole 24 hours playing upon the peaks and snow fields that surround Mueller Hut. (I owe Gary Wilson a big thanks for planting the idea). I met some really great people up there as well. A fantastic couple from Belgium, a playful guy from Indonesia, an openhearted Kiwi. It even snowed. I was at home playing amongst the rocks, watching the clouds whip over top the passes and listening to the distant snowfalls cracking off some far off glacier. I was on top of the world. ER..at least on top of the southern hemisphere. If I were to imagine a place to go to when you die. Than perhaps it would be something like this. I can finally feel my mood lifting now that I am doing what I came here for. Playing in New Zealand's most amazing places. For more on my climb and the Mueller Hut click here.

Tramping (Hiking) in New Zealand is quite easy. This is mainly due to their fantastic hut system. There is also not a single animal (besides the annoying sandfly) that you have to worry about your safety with. Every track (trail) has a system of huts that you reserve and stay in each night. This makes your pack very light as you don't need a tent, water filtration or a lot of warm gear. (you still need a sleeping back though which I purchased in Christchurch). The hut system is both a blessing and a curse. They mainly have them to limit the number of people that walk the tracks and protect the environment. A testament of the worlds growing population. Although its convenient you are often times "stuck" with a lot of other people. Most of them are really amazing souls, but you don't get that solitary feeling you get camping back home. This is especially so on the Great Walks. Walking the tracks sometimes is a barrage of "Hello", "Good day", "Hi there", "Cheers" and "How it goes there mate?". Its a scene reminiscent of the movie "Spys Like Us". "Doctor" "Doctor". "Doctor". "Doctor".....

But mainly you walk around taking amazing pictures because everywhere you look is amazing. I got up at 4am to take that picture of Mt. Cook above.

Speaking of pictures. For you people out there that turned your noses at the fact that I bought a Nikon for this trip. Listen to this. I was on my way up to the Mueller Hut and the track was very very steep. My Nikon D60 slipped out of the pocket on my pack (mind you it was out of its case..naked) and started tumbling down the mountains side on bare rock. It was one of those moments..like in a movie..where the character turns, everything turns to slow motion, he sees what is happening and yells.."NOOOOOOOO". I watched as my brand new camera tumbled over rocks and flipped in the air several times for about 30 meters straight down the mountain side. (me bouncing down the mountain after it). The damage. Nothing. Yep. Nothing but a few small scratches and a bent polarizer filter on the end of my lens which I replaced cheaply. And it still took that picture of Mt. Cook. I am I lucky? Yes. I am smart for buying a Nikon? Yes. They know how to make cameras.


Side thought for the day: Did anyone else think that Dick Cheney during the Obama inauguration looked like old man Potter from the movie "Its a Wonderful Life'?

Distance walked to Mueller Hut: 5.2 Km (3.23 miles)
Distance walked on trip so far: 22.63 Km (14.06 miles)

5 comments:

  1. that is a seriously great shot! Send that to Backpacker, Steve. I bet it gets in. So happy that you are having this experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome picture! It must've been incredible in person...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Matt. Ya. I got up at like 5:30am and waited for about an hour to get that shot. It was really really cold and I had about 8 minutes of that orange glow on the mountain so I was shooting like crazy. I have already taken about 600 pictures thus far...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steven I miss you terribly. You look like Peter Pan. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bette??? Oh..Who is this mysterious Bette?

    ReplyDelete