Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Hobbits & Volcanoes

As with any marriage or union there is compromise. Sometimes you dictate the rules and sometime the other person does. I suppose that is life. Such is the same when traveling with another person. Even if it is just for a few short number of days. I have vowed not to be too touristy on this trip. Not to visit to many towns that claim this or that. But like I said... there has to be compromises.

So after missing our bus and finally getting out of the bay of islands, David and I started making our way down to Taupo in the center of the North Island. The plan was to hook up with my friend Danni (who I had met on couchsurfing) for a hike of the Tongariro Crossing. Which is widely hailed as "The greatest Day Hike" in New Zealand. (more on this spectacle later). But first, David was insistent of a stop first. This little stop was nestled in the back 10 acres of a farm somewhere between Auckland and Rotorua. Most of you know it as Hobbiton in the movie "The Lord of the Rings" Now do I care about seeing a few hills that doubled as the Shire in a movie that was filmed 10 years ago? The answer is yes and no. Yes because I love those movies and no because *christ* it was 58 NZD and its got to be a tourist trap..right? (I am on a budget here). Now, I will admit when I am wrong and when necessary I will open mouth and insert foot. So consider this me opening my mouth and inserting my foot. This place is not only beautiful, but special and it is no wonder that Peter Jackson chose it. If you are ever traveling on Hwy 1 in the north island outside of Rotorua stop by for a few hours. You truly will have visited Middle Earth. I am attaching a picture of "The Shire". Any one recognize that tree. Oh and the set was on a sheep farm so they showed us how to shear sheep. I thought I would include a video for your educational benefits. Please enjoy.

Isn't that guy hot?

After our LOTR adventure we arrived in Taupo and yesterday we hiked the Tongariro Alpine Crossing. This is basically a traverse through a couple of Volcanoes in Tongariro National Park and is generally considered the greatest day hike in New Zealand. Speaking of Lord of the Rings one of the Volcanoes that hiked up was one that doubled as Morador in the movies. But before I get into more Volcanoes how about some more sheep Shearing eh? Who doesn't love some good ol' fashioned sheep shearing?

Wow. That is fascinating.

Ok back to Volcanoes. So I did the hike with one of my dorm mates Abbie from Manchester England. She turned out to be an awesome hiker so we got along well. We actually summited one of the volcanoes and made it back for the early bus in less time than what they said was possible. Now I have hiked quite a number of volcanoes in my travels and I have concluded that they pretty much all look the same. But it was a good day. We were on the highest point of the north island and the weather was beautiful. (although a bit windy ). But I have noticed something about New Zealand. There are only two things that can kill you here. Yourself by doing one of the many crazy things that are readily available throughout the country..things like skydiving and bungee jumping and the other is the sun. Man is it brutal down here. But enough about Volcanoes and things that can kill you. Lets get back to some sheep shearing! I don't want any of you waking up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat wondering how to shear a sheep. So I will leave you this last video.

I am off to Rotorua and then some other place that David wants and then eventually down to Wellington where my friend Rachel from Australia will hopefully be arriving. "Hopefully" is the operative word here. Ciao.

Distance hiked on Tangoriro Crossing: 19.4 km (12.05 miles)
Distance hiked on trip thus far: 19.4 km (12.05 miles)

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe I spent a little over 4 minutes of my life watching those videos. Thanks for sharing. And really, it's not my first time....I saw the same thing on Dirty Jobs....only without the cool Kiwi accent. Remember me when you see more of Middle Earth....you are drinking in those sights for me too...Love the pics...keep drinking water! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya not as cool as Mike Rowe but hey I am doing my best here. They still have about 17 of the hobbit holes up. They were supposed to come down but it rained to much and the owners of the farm wised up. It really is a special place. Show more pics later.

    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the video! I had to send it to Jen... this was part of her job when she was in NZ last year. I'm not sure she was rocking the same outfit as the dude in the video though.

    Glad you're having fun and enjoying both the beaten and not-so-beaten path!

    ReplyDelete